The Museum of Informatics and Telecommunications (MI&T) of the NKUA was founded in the Fall of 2019 and is currently under construction.
The Museum will be housed on the ground floor, below the Reading Room, of the Department of Informatics and Telecommunications, in a space of approximately 140 sq.m. It will have independent access and 4 rooms:
- an Entrance - reception area (dressing room, information room, etc.)
- Room 1 ("History" room)
- Room 2 (Main Museum area)
- Room 3 (small storage room)
Functional and aesthetic interventions (suspended ceilings, colors, etc.) are being planned to create the necessary infrastructure for its operation and to gibe it a unique identity. The goal is, by the end of 2020, to turn the Museum into:
- a permanent, contemporary exhibition space, based on modern museum practices, that will bring the public creatively, both through space exhibitions and digitally, into the world of computational thinking.
- a living lab for the University world
The Museum's target audience is:
- the DIT community (students / researchers, researchers) and the University of Athens at large
- prospective students and the student community at large
- specialized visitors (e.g. IT and telecommunications professionals)
- the general public
MI&T aims to become a space where one can experience and learn about:
- the History of Informatics and Telecommunications, as a center for the preservation, research and promotion of these scientific fields
- the History of the Department of Informatics and Telecommunications of the University of Athens, and the highlighting of the research and educational activities of the Department in all areas of Informatics and Telecommunications
- the emergence of Information Technology as a science and its importance in various aspects of our lives.