Hey 👋 I’m Plum. The AI assistant for your money!
Since we launched in 2017, we’ve been on a mission to make everyone, starting with our awesome Plumsters, financially better off 👊 We do this by helping them automate their savings, avoid overpaying on bills, and providing a simple platform for them to invest and grow their money for the future. 🌱
We’re now looking for a Junior Backend Engineer to join our Athens team.
Engineering at Plum
Our engineers come from a variety of backgrounds (physics, computer science, music, even history!) and we welcome all levels of experience. We value good engineering principles and healthy curiosity. We take a conservative approach to using external frameworks and we aspire to write simple, well-tested code, delivered in rapid iterations.
We currently operate a Python monolith on a 80+ pod Kubernetes cluster on Google Cloud Platform and wrangle ~1TB of data in Postgres and BigQuery. You'll get to work on bank data ingestion, payments, investments, data pipelines, user-facing features and our in-house chat framework (think NLP). On top, you'll play an integral role in taking Plum's infrastructure to an exciting next level – a suite of fault-tolerant, self-contained backend services.
How we work
We work in "squads" – a more startup-appropriate name for saying small, cross-functional teams. Each squad has a mission and a set of OKRs to monitor and improve. We have 5 of these squads right now - Aggregation & Linking, Growth, Treasury, Lost Money and Wealth. As an engineer you'll work in a squad but you can also reach out to and work with anyone in the company.
Our culture: openness and accountability
Even though you'll have a primary role, you can get involved in any aspect of the business you're interested in and contribute feedback and product ideas freely. In return, we'll expect you to back your decisions with data and logic. Features are considered finished when the data tells us that they've moved the needle.
What we look for
- You’ll have a Degree in Computer Science/Engineering, Information Technology or any other relevant field
- You’ll have past experience shipping in Python
- You’ll have a good sense of design & architecture when it comes to your code
- You want to build things first and foremost for the customer
- Familiarity with frameworks and tools such as Postgres, Docker & Celery would be nice, but isn’t a must by any means
- You're a true team player and inherently positive. Where others see problems, you see solutions.
- Join one of the hottest fintech start-ups in Athens Office 🇬🇷
- We're all in this together! Own part of the company through stock options 💷
- Flexibility to work from our London office (almost) whenever you want 🇬🇧
- 22 days holiday a year, excluding public holidays (34 in total)
- Our annual team trip, to a secret destination ✈️
- An office brimming with fruit & snacks, coffee, plants, and a vibe that’s... 🦄🌈
If you think this sounds like a bit of you then don’t hesitate to get in touch!
Contact: Georgia Charalambous - georgiawithplum [dot] com